Monday, December 21, 2009

Cannot communicate with router. IP address and subnet mask are both 0.0.0.0 and default gateway is blank. Help?

Oh, the irony. I'm usually the one answering this type of question.





Here's the detailed synopsis:





I just reformatted one of my PC's and installed windows XP.





I'm on a router and I was initially unable to connect to the internet.





So, I tried manually entering everything, and many other solutions.





I can ping the loopback address just fine, but cannot ping my router. It times out.





I have tried uninstalling the network adapter and letting windows reinstall the correct driver on startup.





I have dried downloading an updated driver for the network adapter and using that one.





Using the new driver has fixed one thing: I now have a physical (MAC) address, where I did not have one before (it was all 0s).





So, I am guessing that the driver is correct (I'm confident that I did install the correct one; I'm not new to computers or anything).





Local area connection says it's enabled at 100mbps.





I have tried turning the router and modem off and back on several times, and I have tried different ports on my router.





I've released and renewed the ip, and flushed the dns.





I am 99% sure that this is a software problem because this connection was working perfectly fine before I reformatted the computer. So, it is extremely unlikely that any hardware peripheral has failed between then and now.





Other PC's on the router still work fine.





DHCP service is enabled and automatic.





No firewalls installed.





No other useless connections have been added (ie broadband connection which would not work because this is a LAN connection).





So, I am unable to connect to the internet and the LAN connection seems to be working. But I can't ping my router, and the dhcp doesn't seem to be working.





I apologize for the information being all over the place. I just wrote things down as I remembered them.





This is all I can think of right now, but if I remember any other details I will post them in the additional details.





If you need any other information I will post it in the additional details and/or mail it to you depending on what you prefer.





If anybody has any clue as to what might be causing this problem, I would more than appreciated. This has already caused several hours of frustration for me. Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to answer this ridiculous question.Cannot communicate with router. IP address and subnet mask are both 0.0.0.0 and default gateway is blank. Help?
unplug the cat 5 cable to the modem and routywer power down both for4 ten minutes and hit reset buttons and reconnect ..if this doesent work then got to dos prompt and type this line








ipconfig /release...thuis should cleart your problem then reconnecvt router and modemCannot communicate with router. IP address and subnet mask are both 0.0.0.0 and default gateway is blank. Help?
Disable ur network adaptor and uninstall the drivers.


Then re-install the drivers (';automatically'; recommended).


Check Cable.


Restart ur computer.





This is driver issue (since MAC address is always present (sometimes u don't see it), and it is never 0 ).


Then Check configuration using





C:\ipconfig /all


and put the details.








EDIT:


Actually u are not able to get the IP address from DHCP server. May be it is due to wrong cable. (Do u know the difference between Cross Cable and Straight Cable??).


.


If cable is right, then do the following.


Give the IP address manually (in the same network and same subnet as expected from DHCP). Make sure u are not making IP address conflict on network.


But check the Cable first.


.


And don't worry about the MAC address. It is always there.
  • myspace songs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment