Friday, December 25, 2009

Is an expired/compromised gas mask filter still usable for cosmetic purposes?

I own an Israeli gas mask with a NATO filter that I bought and popped the tab on in late August. I bought the mask with no intention of actually using it practically, it was part of a costume idea. I have made a few half-hearted attempts to remove the filtration material in the filter, but have not removed it, and don't have time to remove it before I plan to wear it next.





I know I've compromised the filter, and am not sure if the filter would be usable at this point given the time it's been open. *My* question is whether or not I can still wear the filter as part of a costume, basically is it still breathable? I don't plan on using the filter or the mask in actual hazardous environments, I just want it to look cool but still be able to breathe.Is an expired/compromised gas mask filter still usable for cosmetic purposes?
The mask should be fine to wear, unless you stopped up the filter or something like that. The date only means it is not guaranteed for hazardous environments past that date. As just a mask it would be okay.Is an expired/compromised gas mask filter still usable for cosmetic purposes?
The activated carbon in the gas mask never expires. It can become filled up through use in a hazardous environment but if not used, even if it is opened, it will last indefinitely, It is quite safe to breathe through it. The only problem you might have is that it requires a bit of extra effort to draw air through the activated carbon. This extra effort is normal for all activated carbon gas masks and does not change with use or age
Outdated or compromised filters can be kept in the mask so it will maintain it's shape %26amp; make it look right. Just don't try playing superhero and go into a toxic gas cloud to save some little old bag lady.





Put the mask on, make sure it's seated properly and try blowing out %26amp; taking some deep breaths to make sure you won't suffocate yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment