Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I'm very scared about making a mask from plaster?

I have to make a plaster mask next week for a class that i'm doing, it will be covering all of my face, including the eyes and the mouth, and most of my nose, except my nostrils so I can breathe. I'm very scared because i'm claustrophobic and I heard it burns your eyes very badly, can somebody please give me advice so I can remain calm while doing this?I'm very scared about making a mask from plaster?
given that you will cover your eyes it is obvious that you will not do this on your own, but that somebody else will do that for you.


You should use plaster bandages, they are thin and set fast. You should use vaseline to make sure that the plaster doesn't stick to your face or eye brows. It should not burn your eyes.





I would recommend to watch a few other people getting it done, before you have it done to yourself. You will see how that goes and hopefully that will reassure you.I'm very scared about making a mask from plaster?
I've done this to a friend. Here's a few pointers:


1. Shave everything carefully. You can leave your eyebrows on. You can also leave mustache, goatee or beard if the hair is NOT curly or long. Sometimes the plaster does stick however to some of the hairs. You might loose a few when pulling it off.


2. Carefully wipe Vaseline over everything which will allow for a good release after it can dried.


3. Don't do this if your sinuses are clogged or if you can a cold. You'' have to breathe out of your nostrils.


4. Remove clothing or replace with something old you won't mind getting dirty. Use a large piece of cardboard or plastic sheeting under the head to make it easy to clean up.


5. Make a round strip of cardboard to wrap around your entire face when laying down, so that the plaster won't run off as easily.


6. Use slightly more plaster and less water so that the solution hardens within 5 minues.


7. Laying down, have a friend carefullyyyyy pour the plaster of paris mixture into the face ';mold';, keeping the area of the nostril holes OPEN for easy breathing. Use a short piece of rubber or vinyl tube if needed for easier breathing. No laughing, crying, talking, sneezing or moving face muscles for a good ten minutes.


8. Allow a good 10 minutes to harden and then slowing sit up and CAREFULLY remove the mold. It's not important how it looks on the outside....only on the INSIDE. After the mold has hardened completely (I like to wait at least 24 hours for full curing), you can pour whatever agent your desire into the inside of the mold to create a duplicate of your face. Some people use a clay mixture of water and clay and allow it to harden for 1-2 hours before pouring it out and allowing it to be removed from the plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment