Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I have a plaster mask, which I am told is a cast of Beethoven's death mask...?

Can any body tell me of a site or evaluation service that may be able to authenticate this?I have a plaster mask, which I am told is a cast of Beethoven's death mask...?
According to the internet only a single mold was made. Though from the mold several casts were made. And of course it would have been possible to make molds of those casts. The quality of the first casts would be noticeably better than that of any later casts, and any copies of copies would even more deteriorate. I think it's known where the first casts are, so compare with this website if what you have looks anything like this (the cast on this website looks pretty low quality, the Princeton one looks better but not spectacularly good) and then look how much details your cast has. If it looks different it's not a death mask of Beethoven.

No comments:

Post a Comment