Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Wearing a dust mask too long?

I work at the local newspaper inserting fliers. I have bad lungs, so I wear a dust mask (provided by my supervisor).


When I take the dust mask off, I end up having a coughing fit. However, when I wear the dust mask, after 4 hours I start to feel sleepy. I only started wearing the dust masks about a week ago.. and the past few days I've really been feeling out of it, constantly feel exhausted, I've started getting headaches, and I can't think straight.


My work shift lasts for 8 hours. Am I wearing a dust mask for too long? Wearing a dust mask too long?
The problem may be that you are not getting enough oxygen to the brain. The dust mask in most people should be tolerated fine for 8+ hours. ...but in someone with lung problems, you may not able to pull in enough air or the body isn't able to use it all and you may be oxygen deprived. Go see your doctor. Bring a mask with you. They should check your 02 saturation before putting on the mask and after it has been on for a while. I would guess that your readings will be low. They may also want to do lung function tests. With treatment, you may be able to continue working at that job. ....but you may want to think about a job that doesn't put your lungs in jeopardy. Wearing a dust mask too long?
Jessica, thank you very much for the reply. I will definitely go see a doctor about this and ask them to run some tests. Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment